Thursday, May 31, 2012

Favorite Post

My favorite blog post this year was my blog entitled "Separating Classes." I really liked this post because I implemented two forms of media in the post to further my point and at the end of the post I talked about a bigger issue that the fake no outlet signs were raising.

In my post I used a photograph and a video that I took at the very spot of the fake no outlet sign which I believe made a better argument and also showed empathy for the reader. Going to the site gave my post context and let the reader see exactly what I was arguing. If I had found an image of a no outlet sign on the internet my point could still have been made but the argument wouldn't carry the same weight. Now readers don't have to just take my word that the no outlet sign is there they can actually see it.

The video that I posted also helped further my argument. In the blog I pointed out that Indian Hill road actually has an outlet. In my blog I said that a reason for the fake no outlet sign was because the residents of Indian Hill road want to "keep people who don't belong, lower social class, from driving through." Because I took a video I could point out "the golf course" and the "large houses" and the "biker" biking in the road as evidence that Indian Hill road is very affluent. This shows more empathy for the reader because, again, they don't have to take my word that Indian Hill road is a wealthy area. 


Finally I liked this particular post because I took a step back and questioned if it is "right for the village of Winnetka to put up a 'no outlet' sign on a road when there is an outlet?" This moved the issue from this particular road to questioning the ethics of the village of Winnetka and what this says about what the village endorses. This question was simple but it hopefully got the readers thinking more about social class issues and how governing bodies support some social class barriers. This question also raised another issue in a comment. Paddy also noted that the fake signs cause drivers to be "distracted" and it makes driving "unsafe." This is an issue that I hadn't considered and probably wouldn't have thought about if it hadn't been for Paddy's comment. 

1 comment:

  1. Though your output has been low, your kind of citizen journalism is to be commended, David.

    ReplyDelete